Feast your eyes on 10 facts that will give you a better appreciation for beer. Share them, embrace it, and enjoy.
1. Beer is the third most consumed beverage behind water and tea.
2. There are about 400 types of beer. The oldest type being ale and the most consumed being lager.
3. The process of brewing beer has been traced back to 6000 BC Babylonian times.
4. Beer was sacred. Beer was used as a medicine. Beer was was part of the Egyptian diet. (Michigan folk agree)
5. Weihenstephan Abbey in Germany is the oldest operating brewery and has been functioning for 1000 years.
6. Cenosillicaphobia is the fear of an empty glass.
7. Beer makes you smarter! A study done by the New England Journal of Medicine says that beer increases the cognitive function in humans.
8. Beer makes you healthier! Drinking beer can reduce the risk of kidney stones by 40 percent.
9. Storing beer upright minimizes oxidation and contamination from the cap.
10. The first professional brewers were women.